Yet the illusion of abiding supernaturally cannot happen without the presence of magical thinking. Here's "the take" as offered here:
Living that is based in magical thinking rather than fact, marked by constant attempts to bargain with or manipulate or appeal to an external power (an external locus of power and control) that the non-Realized believe can grant their wishes or share power with them in their efforts to control;
living marked by spiritual and emotional intoxication of the type that only ego-states can experience; the lifestyle followed by all persons who are so dominated by desires / fears and efforts to control people, places, things, and events that an imagined power (created in the imagination of, and in the image of, men) is endlessly sought and petitioned;
a life lived by persons who are out of touch with reality; a life lived by persons who believe the Great Reality is a person (with supernatural powers); that which can be a transitional "stage," not quite halfway along the seven-step "journey" to Reality that can move persons from their belief that the "I" is real to knowing the Absolute Which Truly Is the Real;
a lifestyle adopted by the masses during times of greatest fear or perceived attack; a lifestyle marked by rigidity and closure to alternative, scientific, or factual explanations; the type of living that prohibits questioning and thus locks persons into believing in all of the false teachings of their culture; the type of living marked by beliefs that leave persons unaware of their inner resource and inspires dependency, especially on imaginary outer resources.
Thinking based in non-fact, superstition, myth and belief in other-worldly powers; the belief that there is a micro-managing power in another realm (usually conceived as male in gender by the followers of the three religions of Abraham and others but also conceived as multiple gods and goddesses by other religious persons);
the thinking that leads to the belief that there is a single cause for all happenings on the planet, namely, an external locus of control; thinking inspired via religious or “spiritual” programming; thinking often inspired by abuse and trauma suffered in such a degree that a desire for rescue by some external power is wished or hoped for; thinking inspired by ego that wants control and therefore also wants a power at one’s beck and call that can grant wishes;
the fanciful thinking that leads persons to believe that they can petition a power in another realm that can then grant them control over people, places, things, weather, and all events; the type thinking that believes disasters are not events in nature but are punishments or signs delivered by an angry, other-worldly power; the type of thinking based in ignorance;
the type of thinking that dismisses scientific facts and endorses blind, unquestioning faith; the type thinking that blocks all awareness of Reality and imprisons persons in the confines of the false concepts of "a mind"; the type of thinking that is most often rooted in religious and spiritual beliefs; the type of thinking that leads to the belief in the U.S. culture and in other cultures as well in nonsensical beliefs that are supported by magical thinking (that is, in no-facts-involved thinking).
Some examples of the beliefs that are the result of magical (no-facts-involved) thinking include the following:
1. In the U.S., more than 99% think that when persons "die," the dead actually live on, and live on with a physical form that has an appearance that is so similar to the way they looked when alive on earth that they will be recognizable to family and friends, except that they have a gauzy, see-through look and will have sprouted wings that allow them to float about in the sky and in heaven. Gauzy or not, though, they think the physical form can experience pain - such as from flames - or can experience pleasures.
2. 90% think that some who die will also sprout wings yet will not have a gauzy appearance but will be totally invisible instead. They think that those invisible forms - called "angels" - are real and they think that those forms are forever hovering over them and they think that each "good" person has one such angel that is "guarding her or him."
3. In the U.S., 87% think that pregnancies result with input from three-parties instead of two. They think that it requires a man and a woman engaging in an act of friction that results in a sperm cell fertilizing an egg, but they also think that a god in another world intervenes in the process and plays some role as well. So in the U.S., over 87% (that is, over 271,000,000 people) do not know how babies are "made" - though the facts were made available to them in their 7th grade biology classes but were disavowed by their parents and teachers and religious and political leaders.
4. Some of another faith think that they are protected not by angels but by magical garments, special underwear that are to be worn at all times. Those same types think that every "good" man in their religion will become a god in charge of his own world and own heaven. They think that a wife can only enter into heaven by floating along the length of a veil that separates the physical realm from the heavenly realm, by listening for the code name assigned by her husband during their marriage ceremony and being whispered by their god / husband floating on the other side of the veil, and by being pulled though a slit in the veil by that god / husband. (During their marriage ceremony, a veil is set up and they do a "practice run" as part of the ritual.)
5. Those of another faith think that the alien galactic ruler Xenu (who was in charge of earth and 75 other planets in this part of the galaxy some 75 million years ago) addressed overpopulation by paralyzing the people of the other planets, by flying them to earth in DC-8 space planes, by arranging them around a volcano, and by murdering them with hydrogen bombs. Not done with that, the souls of these murdered people were gathered up and boxed, taken to cinemas and shown films for several days. The end result is that the souls clustered together and now inhabit people in their thousands. (And of course now they must be removed at huge expense, and the fees are collected by the leaders in that religion.)
6. In the book SPIRITUAL SOBRIETY: Recovering What Religions Lost, Dr. Jeffrey A. Schaler is quoted as he discusses “psychosis,” a condition in which persons fail to differentiate between the symbolic (abstract) and the real (concrete). He said:
People are labeled psychotic when they refer to mental representations as if they were substantive and real. One example [involves taking] the 'voice of conscience' as the literal voice of another being, known as 'hearing voices.' The failure to differentiate between the symbolic and the real may be intentional (artistic license) or strategic (lying) or the result of a cognitive inability to differentiate between fantasy and reality.
Magical thinking is based in fantasy rather than being in touch with reality and living naturally. Schaler also discusses another illness that can generate belief in illusions:
Schizophrenia is said to be characterized by hallucinations, i.e., self-reported imaginings. Belief in God is a socially acceptable, self-reported imagining. Another example of self-reported imaginings, i.e., hallucinations, is the popular belief in the existence of angels. This belief is considered normal by mentally “healthy” people. Belief in the existence of aliens is considered abnormal and is a sign of mental illness.
Yet, insofar as angels and aliens are both hallucinations (that is, self-reported imaginings), there is no difference between believing in angels and believing in aliens. When self-reported imaginings conflict with socially-accepted norms of belief, speech, and behavior, the claims are considered psychotic. When self-reported imaginings are consistent with socially-accepted norms of belief, speech, and behavior, the claims are considered normal.
7. Billions on the planet think that naturally-occurring, destructive events such as earthquakes, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. are actually supernatural events that are used by a god or gods to punish "bad" people or people with "bad karma."
8. Over 98% of the people on the planet think that miracles are real. They ignore the fact that the causes of all events and happenings could be explained factually but instead claim that such "miraculous" happenings are the result of "divine intervention" by a power or Powers from another world.
Such examples are eight of the thousands of examples of magical, warped thinking that can be observed on a daily basis. The Dream of the Planet is firmly fixed around the globe as fiction-filled minds generate magical thoughts and words. So it is.
COMING SOON AT AMAZON
THE CONDITIONS FOR YOUR JOURNEY: "Severe Clear?" Or "Severely Unclear?"
The Relative Results of Returning to "The Child Ignorance Stage" or "The Child No-Knowing State"
Now available at Amazon.com in
the US, the UK, GERMANY, FRANCE, ITALY and SPAIN:
(QUOTATIONS AND POINTERS dealing with NON-DUALITY, ADVAITA, NISARGA YOGA and more)
(Note: Contrary to what you might read, every quote in this book is identified by its author or speaker)The work contains quotations and pointers not only from scores of non-duality books and talks but also offers non-duality pointers that have appeared in works of non-fiction, fiction, classic literature, and movies.
The book include the following:
The offering of non-duality quotations and pointers by category and subject matter but from Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj exclusively.
Quotations and pointers from Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj that discuss nisarga yoga and nisarga living.
Quotations that other seekers / readers have indicated that they found to be significant.
A section with an arrangement of non-duality quotations and pointers by category and subject matter. The rationale: when offering non-duality quotations, some collections provide key pointers that are offered in no particular order, but here the approach is to group pointers according to subject matter so that a seeker dealing with "body identification issues" can find quotations addressing body identity while a seeker dealing with "being free of the influence of the mind" can find quotations and pointers that offer information on that topic. Other subjects in this part of the book include personality, the child ignorance or no-knowing stage, the two types of witnessing, the Absolute, the Void or the Nothingness, and many more.
Miscellaneous non-duality quotations and pointers which are relevant to Advaitins and that have been offered by philosophers and sages and seers of truth from various periods, including Plato, St. Francis of Assisi, Desiderius Erasmus, Albert Einstein, George Bernard Shaw, Richard E. Lingenfelter; Robert Burton, Daniel H. Boorstin, Gary Zukav, E. Bayda, Mark Twain, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau, Walt Whitman, Brad Thor, Mohandas "Mahatma" Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jr.; Nelson Mandela, Immanuel Kant, Bruce Lipton, Clive Cussler, Ivan Petrovich Pavlov, Lewis Thomas, Max Planck, Heinrich Hertz; the bands "Pink Floyd" and "The Beatles"; and others.
Non-duality pointers that have appeared in the non-fiction writings of Ralph Klein and in the works of such scientists as Barbara McClintock, Erwin Schrodinger, Fritjof Capra, Niels Bohr, David Bohm, Neil deGrasse Tyson. Also, there are selections from the works of Marvin Kaye, S.H. Sharp, Paul Krassner, Ken Kesey, Russell Brand, G.I. Gurdjieff; and a variety of examples of the non-duality messages that are contained in the body of Native American wisdom as well as non-duality pointers that can be found in the book "ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS" (a.k.a., "the A.A. Big Book").
An offering of non-duality messages that have appeared in the fictional works of Jack Kerouac, Michael Connelly, Mary Shelley, Victor Hugo, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Robert Lewis Stevenson, Abraham "Bram" Stoker and others as well as quotations with the non-duality message as offered in film with a list of over thirty movies that are based in non-duality, including The Matrix (Part One), The 13th Floor, Inception, The Truman Show, Dark City, Existenz, Avatar, and many more.
Click to purchase
( QUOTATIONS AND POINTERS dealing with NON-DUALITY, ADVAITA, NISARGA YOGA and more)
ALSO AVAILABLE AT AMAZON
the U.S., the U.K., Germany, France, Spain, and Italy
this new release:
FREEDOM FROM BELIEFS
(Believers, Non-Believers, and "No-Belief-ers")
FREEDOM FROM BELIEFS (Believers, Non-Believers, and "No-Belief-ers")
The full explanations are also available in the books in the author's collection that explain in detail all of the non-duality, nisarga teachings offered here:
1. Most non-duality books below are available through Amazon.com.
2. Read Kindle books on your own device by downloading a free app.
From the I to the Absolute
Consciousness / Awareness
From the Absolute to the Nothingness
The Final Understanding
The Advanced Seekers' Series in paperback
The Two Meditation Guides
What BLISS Is and What BLISS Is Not
Why You Must Be Empty If You Would Be Full
When Reality Is Overlaid Upon the Relative
Freedom from Shifting Between States of Happiness and Unhappiness
The Blissful Abidance Series (6 books) in paperback
with THE SRI NISARGADATTA MAHARAJ SERIES, including:
(1) Why NISARGA YOGA in addition to the ADVAITA TEACHING?
(2) Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj and His Evolution
(3) A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE
(4) Going Crazy / Going Sane
(5) The Final Fifteen Topics Discussed by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
(6) The Non-Duality Pointers Offered by YESHU'A ("Jesus the Christ")
(7) William Shakespeare the Advaitin
Overcoming the Fear of Being Totally Independent
I AM THAT (vs. "This Is Who I Think I Am")
The Essence of the Teachings
The Relative Results of Returning to "The Child Ignorance Stage" or "The Child No-Knowing State"
There Is Nothing That Is Personal (Including You and Including God)
Lessons in Non-Duality from Travels in South Africa
The Path to Freedom vs. the Path to Misery
Instability / Insanity: What the Advaita Teachings Can (and Cannot) Address
PROGRAMMING, CONDITIONING, DOMESTICATION, AND ACCULTURATION
Your Original Nature
The Ultimate Sickness, The Ultimate Medicine
Going Crazy / Going Sane
There's No Such Thing As "Peace of Mind" (There Is Only Peace If You're Out of Your Mind)
Freedom from Beliefs (Believers, Non-Believers, and "No-Belief-ers")
A Twelve-Step Journey to SELF-Realization [Kindle]
A Twelve-Step Journey to SELF-Realization [Paperback]
A Guide for Working the Twelve Steps (In the Manner Used by the Founders)
The Twelve Steps and Advaita / Non-Duality: A 21-Day Plan for a Psychic Change
Finding Real Love in An Unreal World
Casting Light on the Dark Side of Relationships
The Myth of Death
What Happens When I Die?
The Twice-Stolen Necklace Murders (Non-Duality) [Kindle]
The Board of Directors of Wars (Non-Duality) [Kindle]
The Board of Directors of Wars (Non-Duality) [Paperback]
Living Within Your Means
How Your Personality Type Shapes Your Spending Habits
(Click the pictures for information on the paperback versions)
You will be guided through all seven of the steps, in order, that lead from identification with the false "I" to the Absolute (and beyond). For more specific information and details about the course, you may click on the link to the right. To get started now now, click the pay button below and receive the $365 course for a discounted price of $325.00.
Purchase at Discount the Advaita Internet Course with Floyd
Clicking the Buy Now Button below:
Or, if you prefer, begin by arranging a one-hour Advaita session via Skype with Floyd:
Next, you can now receive for $40 a downloadable computer file version of the same 7-hour satsang that seekers receive when they visit for the Advaita Retreat with Floyd. You will be guided through the seven steps from identification with the false "I" to the Absolute (and beyond).
DVD or Downloadable computer file versions of the Four-Day Advaita Retreat
SIX WAYS THAT SEEKERS HAVE REALIZED:
1. BY WATCHING the 4-Disk, Seven-Hour Video (DVD) Set of an advaita retreat, or the downloadable file version. To find out more or to purchase the DVD or downloadable computer file version of the retreat, click:
DVD or Downloadable computer file versions of the Four-Day Advaita Retreat
International buyers: note the separate option for those outside the continental U.S.
2. BY READING the explanations offered in the collection of non-duality books that are available on this site.
3. BY ENROLLING in the Online Advaita Classes
For information, visit Information on the Advaita Classes on the Internet
To enroll visit Enroll in the Advaita Internet Course
4. BY ATTENDING an Advaitin retreat for satsang with floyd and being guided through all seven steps. For details of the retreats offered, please visit the retreat information site.
5. BY ARRANGING satsang by telephone in the U.S. or by Skype internationally. Use the Contact link for information or use the link below to pay for your first Advaita session.
You may click the BUY NOW button below to begin arrangements for your first Advaita session with Floyd via Skype and he will contact you to schedule: